Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 7 Tuesday
Today Anne and I went to the Meuseum of Carnivale in Binche. It holds a collection of information about the huge Mardi Gras celebration held every year. It is one of the oldest and largest in Belgium. It also has masks from around the world. We also visited the oldest church in Belgium in another nearby small town ( I can't keep track of the names) it was built in the 10th century. In the afternoon I took a walk by myself through Leval and found my way to my great uncles house. Jean-Marie doesn't speak any English so the conversation was difficult but still very good. It was fun to try to find a way to get my point across although my brain hurts a bit. More games with the kids tonight and I tasted 3 more beers. A salty one and 2 sweet fruit beers. I don't think I will ever tire of all the wonderful beer here! 


Day 8 Wednesday
I slept in today till almost 10, I was so tired from staying up late last night planning my trips. Tonight I will take a bus toAustria to visit friends for 4 days. We picked up the children from school at noon and ate a hot lunch at home. ( Anne insisted I have a hot lunch since I will be on the road all night. She takes such good care of me.)
They took me to the train and I set out for Brussels alone. I spent a few hours wandering the streets and found the hostel I will stay in next week. It weird but I think I feel safer in Brussels than I would in a big USA city. It's an illusion I am sure, but it gives me courage. (plus who could feel threatened in a city with such great waffles)
 


I went back to meet the bus at 5, it was an hour late but eventually we got in the road to Vienna. After the first stop I worked up the courage to talk to the guy next to me. I asked in terrible French: "what place will you depart the bus?" When I only got a strange look I clarified with true Indian sign language: "I depart the bus in Vienna." "Ahh, moi ousi" he replied. After a few more pathetic attempts on my part I discovered he spoke pretty good English. Hooray for the French being so multi lingual.

Anyway it was a long tiring bus ride but not too bad.





Day 9- Thursday
We were stopped at 4am by border patrol and they came through the bus checking passports. They took a lady off with them and we sat for 30minutes waiting. They left, the lady never came back, and we continued through Germany. (at least I think that's where we were, judging by accents and the signs at the gas station. We arrived in Vienna at 8:30 and after charging my phone (stupid technology) I set out to look for transportation to Poysdorf. I was worried about everyone speaking German but I found enough people who spoke English to help me. My friends met me in poysdorf an we spent the afternoon catching up. I had shweinschnitzel for dinner and drank almdoodler, their locally made soda. All in all a great day in Austria!


A great look at the pay toilets in germany. At least for my one euro this toilet sanitized itself after flushing.


No comments:

Post a Comment