Tuesday, November 9, 2010

First week in Belgium

So I have been in Belgium a few days now, I think I have learned to speak broken English better than French. I speak slow and expect to have to exlain myself. My cousin Anne teaches me new words but I forget them alot. My flights were very long getting here and I travelled for almost 24 hours. Next time I will plan better and take a train from Paris to Brussels and it will only take an hour.
Thursday-day 2: (I guess I will count yesterday as my first day in Belgium even though I spent it all in an airport) I slept for 4 hours because I was so tired.  Anne made a great dinner where everyone drank Belgian table beer, even the children. Then I sat with Anne & Pierre to try two Belgian beers. Pierre exlained how beer is made and the differences between the colors and the recipes.
Friday -day3: I visited my grandfathers family: my great aunt and her husband, (annes parents) and my great  uncle. Here I was again reminded how little French I know. For dinner we went to a "Baraque a Frites" (literally a fry shack.) After, we drove a little wats to the ruins of a 13th century Abby, in the old cellar there is a restaurant and bar. I tried two mire Belgian beers and love them both. Beer, chocolate and fries, It doesn't get much better than this. I couldn't have asked for better hosts, so gracious and patient and kind.
Saturday -day 4: I drove with Pierre to pick up vegetables at a nearby farm where Everything is grown organic and they employ local workers. I don't know how much of Belgium is concious like my hosts but I love it. I have Bern asking lots of questions about history, politics, work and social things. It really opens my eyes to hear the different point of view. Belgium has a king who doesn't do anything because they also have parliment! We spent most of the day at Waterloo and saw almost everything. History is so much more interesting when you can see it in person. It was sunny but preceeded to pour rain in bursts throughout the day. Just like Oregon, the weather mostly cold but always changing. After dinner I met and re-met more cousins on my grandfathers side. Annes sisters and brother and some of their children. I am making a family tree as I go so I can keep track.

Sunday-day 5: we woke up to pouring rain and wind, it was just awful outside. But we decided to brave the weather and after Anne & Pierre packed lunch and rain coats and we braved the weather to head to Bruges. When we got there (120km) the sky was clear and the sun came out. We walked all over the town an visited main bell tower, meusems & the old church of the holy blood. I also met some Americans from Philly who are in belgium for a year of college. I think i talked their ear off because i miss speaking real english. Bruges is a beautiful city with recorded history that goes back many centurys. After Bruges we drive to the coast and I touched the Atlantic ocean from this side! We had waffles and coffee in a little shop overlooking the ocean then headed home.
Funny thing, most of the music on the radio here is American, I heard Gorillaz & Linkin Park on the way home!

Monday day 6 the children had holiday from school today so after lunch we drove to Binche to see a bit if the old town. All though not as well know or exploited Binche has some wonderful history. We walked along an old "rampart" that circled the whole city in the 15th century. There was also remains of a palace they have unearthed and a cemetary. I met pierres brother and family and although I bear no blood relation, left with gifts a plenty. After dinner Pierre and I went to the store to pick out more Belgian beers for me to try, "Belgium is beer paradise!" we left with 14 bottles & I tasted 4 tonight while playing a pirate board game with the whole family. The children ignore us when we speak English but I realized they understand more than they let on. Soon every good play was followed with "In your face!" I am so incredibly thankful for the wonderf family I have here. I can never repay them. This evening Pierre also helped me plan the rest of my trip and it is going to be full and amazing! It is more than I could have ever hoped for!


 After 21 hours of traveling I arrive in the Brussels Airport at 11pm.
 Waterloo! well, its pretty much a big hill....and it was raining most of the day. But I love the history!
 My great uncle JeanMarie in Anderlues
(Left to right) Clea, Issac, Pierre & Anne (my moms cousin); my amazing hosts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment